14 Day Experience: Workshop and Textile Tour
We have organized a 14 day experience for those who are interested in doing a tour after the tapestry weaving workshop. This experience will have a focus on textiles and folk art, so we are looking forward to sharing our favorite textiles spots in Cusco with you, while visiting all of the beautiful archeological sites of the area, including Machu Picchu.
This will be exclusively with students of the tapestry weaving workshop, so you will only travel with your fellow students
The Itinerary that we have planned, including the workshop, is as follows:
Day 1: Arriving to Cusco
September 25, 2022
On this day we’ll pick you up at the Cusco airport and take you to the Sonesta Posadas del Inca Hotel, where you’ll be staying for the following 10 days and where the workshop will take place. The hotel is located in a beautiful town called Yucay, in the Sacred Valley of Cusco, about 1:20 hours from the city of Cusco.
On the first day it is important to rest for a bit in order to get used to the altitude of the city. The altitude in the Sacred Valley is lower than in the city, so it’s going to be a great way to acclimate to the altitude of Cusco. You will have time to rest and to have lunch at the hotel or at a nearby restaurant of your choosing.
Day 2: City Tour of Cusco
September 26, 2022
After breakfast we’ll be transfered to the city of Cusco in order to explore the city through a walking tour. We will visit the Cathedral of Cusco and then head to Qoricancha, which is the “Sun Temple” of the Incas located in within the city. After lunch we will visit the traditional neighborhood of San Blas, known for being the neighborhood of artisans of Cusco, where we will visit the galleries of our favorite local artisans, and then go for a walk down to the Main Square. The rest of the afternoon/evening is free to walk around the city a bit, dine, or have an early rest.
Before ending the day, we will visit the gallery/museum of the CTTC (Center of Traditional Textiles of Cusco), to see some of the most beautiful traditional textiles found in this area. They are a non-profit organization established to aid in the survival of traditional Andean textile traditions and to provide support to weaving communities. They have a gallery/museum in the city of Cusco, and another location in the town of Chinchero, an hour away from Cusco. We will visit their Cusco location first, and will go to their location in Chinchero to do our natural dyes workshop with them on Day 13. We have added this visit, even if we are visiting them in Chinchero, because in Cusco you will find a variety of quality of textiles, so we want to show you this very high quality work early on.
Days 3 – 9: Tapestry Weaving Workshop
September 27 – October 3, 2022
During the following 7 days, you’ll be focused on your tapestry weaving workshop, which will occur in the Sonesta, where you’ll be staying.
The workshop will begin every morning after breakfast, from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, which a coffee break in the morning and another in the afternoon.
You will also have a 2 hour lunch break at noon, so you can have lunch at the hotel restaurant (which is delicious!), or visit some of the restaurants in the surrounding areas.
Day 10: Sacred Valley of the Incas & Pisaq
October 4, 2022
As the workshop ends on October 3, we’ll coordinate your checkout of the Sonesta Hotel on October 4. We’ll be staying in the city of Cusco after that point.
We’ll start the day by visiting the Pisaq Market, a traditional market where many locals sell and barter their homegrown fruits, vegetables, and which has also expanded to include, textiles, ceramic, jewelry, musical instruments and much more! On our way to Pisaq we will stop at a weaving center to get some insight into the entire textile process, we will see alpacas, llamas and vicuñas and explore the textile process in the Andes.
After having time to explore the Pisaq Market, we will have lunch at a local restaurant in the market, and then meet back to go to the Pisaq Archeological Site, where we will spend the rest of the afternoon. After Pisaq we will head to our hotel in the city.
Day 11: Sacred Valley & Aguas Calientes Town
October 5, 2022
After breakfast, we will visit two archeological sites in the Sacred Valley: Moray and the salt mines of Maras. We will go to lunch at a delicious buffet restaurant located at the foot of the Urubamba river, with many traditional and international cuisine options (this meal is included in the tour). After lunch we will visit the Archeological Site in the Inca town of Ollantaytambo. In the late afternoon you will take the train to Aguas Calientes, the city that is just before Machu Picchu, where you will be able to have diner and rest for a very beautiful next day! The citadel of Machu Picchu is located only 23 minute away from Aguas Calientes.
Day 12: Machu Picchu!
October 6, 2022
After an early breakfast, you will visit Machu Picchu for the entire morning, after the visit you will go back to Aguas Calientes for lunch, and then catch the train back to Cusco.
Day 13: Natural Dyes Workshop
October 7, 2022
We will have a late breakfast to recover all of the energy and be ready for a beautiful day in Chinchero, where we will have a hands-on natural dyes workshop. We will spend the morning with weavers from the CTTC, who will teach you the long traditional of natural dyes in the Andes, using insects, flowers and leaves to create a rainbow of colors. At the end of the workshop you will be able to take the yarn that you have dyed. After the workshop we will head back to the city of Cusco for a free afternoon.
Day 14: Flight Cusco – Lima
October 8, 2022
After breakfast we’ll be coordinate your transfer to the Cusco airport for your departure.
– Arriving to Cusco
– City Tour of Cusco
Days 3 – 9:– Tapestry Weaving Workshop
– Pisaq Market and Archeological Site
– Sacred Valley Arqueological Sites
– Train ride to Aguas Calientes
– Overnight at Aguas Calientes
– Visit to Machu Picchu
– Train ride back
– Natural Dyes Workshop in Chinchero
– Transfer to the Cusco Airport
Cost: US$ 3,680 per person
Price is based on Double Occupancy. Single Supplement US$ 650
This plan Includes includes:
- Transportation to and from the Cusco airport upon arrival and departure
- 12 Nights at the Xima Hotel (shared accommodation)
- 1 Night in the town of Aguas Calientes (shared accommodation)
- 13 buffet breakfasts during your stay
- City Tour of Cusco with a private, English speaking guide
- A total of 56 hours of weaving time
- A personal vertical loom and cartoon to be used during the workshops
- The yarn required to weave your piece
- The final tapestry woven during the workshop
- Coffee and Tea breaks twice a day during the workshops
- 4 Days of Tours in Cusco
- All domestic transportation (train and private bus) during the days of tour
- Entrance tickets to all archeological sites detailed in the Itinerary (Machu Picchu, Pisaq, Maras, Moray and Ollantaytambo)
- An English speaking guide while visiting all of the archeological sites detailed in the itinerary (Machu Picchu, Pisaq, Maras, Moray and Ollantaytambo)
- Buffett lunch during our visit to the Sacred Valley on Day 11
- All the materials required for the hands-on Natural Dyes workshop
This plan does not include:
- International Flights
- Flight from Lima-Cusco and Cusco-Lima. If you would like us to help you coordinate them, let us know and we’ll be happy to assist you at no extra cost
- Meals aside from all breakfasts and the buffet lunch in the Sacred Valley on Day 11
- Personal transportation during your time in Peru
- Bottled water, snacks and any items not specified in the itinerary
- Additional Insurance of any kind